A free dancers' information page
provided by the Swing
Visit out homepage for notes on how to
dance these styles.
Swing dance, first seen in the Big Band era of the
and 1940s, has come back to Scotland! A whole new generation is now
the fun of partner dance to wonderful music in the friendly atmosphere
of the country's various swing clubs and classes. This page is
to provide a quick 'directory' of what is on offer; if you know of
I should have included but have not, please let me know.
Styles, Classes & Clubs - Swing
Diary - Links -
FREE INSTRUCTIONAL NOTES
Classes and clubs for
- Lindy Hop/ Jitterbug
(Lindy Hop is the original swing jive, dating from the 1920s; smooth
sophisticated when slow, it can become wild and energetic when the
picks up. This dance is ancestral to all other forms of jive, and is
considered by many to be 'the' dance of the swing era).
- Balboa An American
swing dance from the 1930s (or the 1940s, depending on who you
Shag An American swing dance from the 1930s,
by a close and compact form
- St Louis Shag (aka
- Glasgow Jive (the dance hall
in the 1950s never died in Glasgow as it did in most other places, so
social jive of that period survives as a living tradition. The dance is
similar to and fairly compatible with ballroom jive, but Glasgow jive
an authentic dance form that has escaped ballroom formalism. Visitors
the USA find it very similar to East Coast Swing).
- Ballroom Jive
- Edinburgh: Classes by Marina Delicta: to book contact Dance
- Slow drag/ "blues"
- Swing Line Dances
- The Swingdoctors
- Edinburgh Edinburgh Swing
Dance Society teaches some classic swing line dance routines (The
Jitterbug Stroll, The Madison, The Electric Slide etc) in 'warm-up'
before the main Thursday night classes in Lindy Hop. The ESDS website
summaries of these routines
This diary covers REGULAR Scottish events only. (If you want your events to be listed, you have to tell me
These events run regularly, but for bank holidays or times during the
or times outside term for the University classes, please ask before
- Mondays:Edinburgh - Lindy Hop, Balboa and Shag classes at Edinburgh
University Swing Dance Society
- Mondays: Aberdeen: Lindy Hop. Check this website for details.
- Mondays: Glasgow: Lindy Hop - beginners at 7:30, social dancing 8:30, Lindy Imp/Int 9:15pm. Blackfriars basement. Check Glasgow Lindy Hoppers.
- Tuesdays: Glasgow - Balboa beginner 7pm, improver Balboa 8pm. The Griffin. (Check Glasgow Balboa on Facebook).
- Wednesdays: Aberdeen - Lindy and Blues. Check this website for details
- Wednesdays: Edinburgh - Shoe Swing (classes and social)
- Wednesdays: Aberdeen - Swing dance classes by Aberdeen University Swing Dance Society
- Thursdays: Edinburgh - Lindy Hop Classes and social (beginners/
- Thursdays: Glasgow - Blues all levels 8pm. Changing venue. (Check Thursday Night Blues on Facebook). Not a weekly class so check Facebook fohttp://www.swingdoctors.org.uk/r dates
- Fridays: Glasgow - Fridays: Lindy Hop beginners 7pm, Collegiate Shag mixed level 8pm, Lindy imp/int 9pm. Dance HQ in the Templeton Building on Glasgow Green. (Glasgow Lindy Hoppers)
- Saturdays - Monthly dance (generally 2nd Satruday of the month)
- Sundays - Monthly (usually 2nd Sunday of the month) from ESDS
- Sundays - "Swing on a Sunday Afternoon" - organized by ESDS
- Sundays - Classes at St Andrews
NB - While I make every effort to ensure the accuracy of this
I cannot be responsible for losses caused by any errors. Please check
the organisers before travelling (people are keen to tell me when they start new events and classes, but never tell me when their classes or clubs get wound up, so there may well be ghosts on this site!).
If you want any more information about Swing Dance in Scotland,
don't hesitate to contact me. Either click here
to e-mail me directly from your web browser, or send an e-mail using a
stand-alone mail handler.
These pages are maintained by a local amateur
dancer/ teacher with no financial links to any group or organisation.
do not copy or use any part of the logo at the top of this page without
my permission (it is copyright, and meant only for Swing Dance
web pages and associated classes and events).